Spousal Support Violations

Spousal support violation issues often deal with a breach in perceived trust, which can often cause them to turn ugly. If you’re on either side of an allegation, you’re best to speak with a family lawyer. 

Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Mississauga are all governed by Ontario’s separation laws. So choose a family law firm that are experts in these laws and specialize in spousal support violations. 

If you’re receiving spousal support and your former spouse misses one (or multiple) payments without reasonable explanation or compensation, you have many options.

You can work with a family lawyer to seek:

·       Garnishing the payor’s wages

·       Bringing the payor’s employer to court if the employer disobeys or ignores the notice of garnishment

·       Garnishing the payor’s bank account

·       Seizing the payor’s RRSP

·       Registering the support order as a charge on the payor’s house, other real estate or personal property

·       Filing a writ against the payor’s property, which prevents the payor from transferring clear title to property they wish to sell.

In extreme circumstances, the judge can send the payor to jail for failing to pay support.

At the same time, if you are accused of failing to pay spousal support for any reason, you should also speak with a family lawyer to avoid any of the above steps from happening to your finances.

If you’re relying on spousal support, you may not have the luxury of missing one or more payments to provide for your family or pay your various bills. Chances are good that you need this resolved as quickly as possible so you can receive any back-payments that you’re owed, and ensure future payments won’t be missed.

If you have any questions about spousal support violations and want to speak with a specialized family law firm, don’t hesitate to contact any of our offices in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Mississauga.


Our Family Law Lawyers

Brenda K. McKnight

Read Bio >

Christine kim

Read Bio >