Property & Asset Issues for Common Law Couples

If you’re common law relationship is coming to an end, you may be confused about the legal ramifications of it all. Your current knowledge may be a mix of hearsay and what part of marriage laws you think apply to common law.

We’re here to make sense of it all. Property issues for common law couples in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Mississauga fall under Ontario’s family laws. You might not be sure you were ever legally family, but you definitely need to speak with a family lawyer. 

If you live in a common law relationship, you do not have the same legal rights to sharing and dividing assets as a married couple. You do have similar rights to child support, spousal support and child custody. However, property is viewed quite differently. 

Things can become complicated when it comes to a common law couple parting ways, while they both had a financial claim in property, home, or business. It becomes a matter of each party trying to prove what they have invested. In a perfect world it would be clear who owns something and who has the right to certain property. However, in common law relationships it’s seldom that simple.

This is when you need to speak with a family lawyer to discuss your situation and options. We have a proven record of cases that deal with property issues for common law couples, and working towards favourable outcomes for our clients.

We’ve seen cases where both parties almost refuse to work with the other, after a volatile separation. Our staff of proven family lawyers was still able to work with our clients and reach an amicable settlement.

If you need a family lawyer and want to talk about your property issues from a common law relationship, don’t hesitate to contact any of our offices in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Mississauga.


Our Family Law Lawyers

Brenda K. McKnight

Read Bio >

Christine kim

Read Bio >