Matrimonial home issues

Divorce in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Mississauga falls under Ontario’s family law. You need an experienced and proven family law firm to stand beside you and fight for you if you’re having matrimonial home issues.

Battling for possession of the matrimonial home is an issue for most formerly married couples. It can seem like a daunting and potentially unpleasant experience. The former spouses may not be on good terms and each party may have an emotion-fueled opinion of what they deserve and what the other party does not.

In some cases, former spouses cannot agree on who should retain, own and live in the matrimonial home that was jointly acquired during (or before) their marriage. Children can complicate this matter further. Typically, the person with custody of the children retains the family home for the sake of creating the smallest amount of disruption in the children’s lives.

When a marriage ends, property that was acquired during the marriage and still exists at separation must be divided fairly between the spouses. The payment that may be owed to one of the spouses in order to effect this sharing is called an equalization payment, or an equalization of net family property.

At the same time, any increase in the value of property needs to be accounted for and must be shared between the former spouses.

This is why you need to work with professionals—a family law firm that knows the law, and has a history of favourable outcomes for their clients. Our firm can show you exactly what you’re legally entitled to and fight to ensure you receive it.

If you need a family lawyer and want to talk about your matrimonial home issues, don’t hesitate to contact any of our offices in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Mississauga.


Our Family Law Lawyers

Brenda K. McKnight

Read Bio >

Christine Lee

Read Bio >